Thursday, February 11, 2010

Want to know about blogging? Read this...

Okay so let's just say I am new to the whole blogging experience. I thought blogging was for people who had way too much time on their hands. I always told myself blogging was, in a way, stupid. That was before I took this class and really thought about the practical application possibilities that exist through blogging. I now understand that blogging is an effective public relations tool that can be effective if enough readers find out about the blog. I have eaten my words. Blogging is not dumb and pointless. It is an effective journalism and public relations tool. Plus, it can be fun!
As we all know, some people have become blogging professionals. Companies are hiring people just to deal with blogs. Writing and monitoring blogs has become an effective job for people recently. In fact some of you reading this blog could one day be solely responsible for a Fortune 500 company''s blog. So read with caution and conviction. Let's' take Coca-Cola for example. Numerous blogs exist that discuss soft drinks and their likability versus people who do not like them. Coca-Cola then hires people to monitor these blogs in order to ensure they have an idea about public opinion concerning their product.
Another effective tool of blogging is the reporter aspect of it. Blogging has become a way for individuals to quickly announce or report on a topic. Just as easily as I am typing about blogging someone could be typing about a huge car crash that happened in Los Angeles that is holding up traffic. If I were a subscriber to that blog then I would possibly attain my information via that source. Basically, the important thing to remember about blogs is that they are easily modifiable. What I mean by this is that blogs can be written on any subject, quickly edited to the style the author likes and then published on the internet for the entire world to see if they want. Websites like blogger.com have allowed for easier access to blogging. These websites provide a FREE forum for people to use to blog. Also, these sites allow for people to pay for greater access and more control. This is an easy way for the websites to generate more revenue. A couple negatives can come out of using blogs for journalistic purposes. Lack of professionalism and possibility for unverified information become prevalent in blog reporting.
A couple blogs I enjoy are: http://espn.go.com/blog/sec and www.trackemtigers.com


No comments:

Post a Comment