Thursday, March 4, 2010

Forums are_____________________!

As we learned last week, forums are websites designed to promote online discussion. Forums started like bulletin boards but technological advances have made them even better and offer more features than they did in their infancy. Most forums require registration and have people who serve as webmasters that maintain the site. Forums are not limited to certain topics. In fact, my research shows that almost every topic imaginable has a forum where people who are interested in the topic can go and discuss anything about that topic they wish to. A virtual community is created and people feel part of something bigger than themselves. According to my roommate, he finds out about video game codes via internet forums and that online gaming relationships have developed for him simply be using forums. I am not involved in this type of activity but it is interesting to see how forums can create relationships between people even though they have probably never met face to face.


Typically users have to download certain software packages such as Perl, Java or PHP. Some of these packages are free but offer fewer features than their pay-for-use counterparts. These allow users to add video, color text and other things to make their posts more appealing or more detailed. Certain rules exist in forums. As I said earlier, the person or group of people who run forums are those in charge. They form moderator groups that set and enforce rules. This prevents people from abusing their privilege to post. If people act out of line they can be voted "off the island". Sometimes people try to sabotage forums by adding a binch of hate text that includes bad language or racy photography. This would most likely result in being kicked off the forum.
The following video shows the possibilities of forums and how they are global.

Basically, what I want people to know about forums is that they are a good way to involve yourselves in a subject that may have a limited audience. You should check out forums and see if something is out there you want to be a part of. Here is a list of a few forums that I have began to read and post on.
Sports Forum
SEC FOOTBALL WOOOOOO!!!! WAR EAGLE!!!
COLLEGE
I can honestly say that this class at Auburn University has opened my eyes to other avenues of social media. I now am obviously blogging and joining forums. This is awesome! I feel like I have finally caught up with the rest of society.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jon-Marc,

    I completely agree with your statement that forums are as many as there are topics. I recently discovered this with a hair care forum. I felt like I struck gold when I found this forum because any and everything that I ever had questions about related to hair had been discussed in full detail in this forum.

    I had to laugh inside a little bit about being "kicked off the island" due to "hate text." But it is true; some people get out of control when they feel like nobody can see them [sitting behind a computer screen].

    Best wishes for your blog. Come visit mine sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. JM,

    I like this video. I think it goes well with what you have written here in this assignment. To say nothing more, it is simply entertaining looking at blogs in that type of light. The forum example also worked well I think in addition to.

    I appreciate you reading some of my school related and non-school related blog entries. I have been keeping up with my blog for about a year now I guess. So keep checking it out. I sincerely appreciate any feedback I can get. Thanks.

    James L. Cartee

    ReplyDelete