Thursday, March 11, 2010

Podcasting REALLY can be useful.. I promise

Well, now that we have explained what RSS is we can take it one step further and learn about some of the cool applications people can utilize. On of these is podcasting. People have the ability to subscribe to audio files that are released as episodes. These episodes are downloaded through web syndication, RSS. Basically, once you subscribe you start getting them automatically.

As an avid sports fan, I listen to ESPN broadcasts of podcasts on a regular basis. The interesting thing about them is that their RSS feed is hosted on www.espn.com versus an individual's personal account homepage. Also, these podcasts typically run longer than some that I have listened to recently meaning the listener should have ample time before beginning to listen.
People who are interested in making a podcast must first have access to a program capable of generating MP3 files. Once the podcast has been created you can upload it using HTML onto your designated site. If you have any questions concerning how to HTML then contact me and I will put you in contact with the expert. I am not the expert you should be speaking with.
Here is a video that explains how to use Audacity to create an MP3 file for podcasting. I uploaded two versions so people could see how to change border colors.


I just would like to say again that I am not an expert MP3 generator. For a quick example I am choosing a podcast from www.podbean.com to show you how it works. For more on how to create an MP3 refer to the video above.

1 comment:

  1. Hey man, I actually have used Audacity on several occasions, but this Youtube video was good in the fact that it reminded me on how to use some of its features. So including these types of features in your posts helps students how to figure these types of things out. So maybe keep doing that.

    ReplyDelete